If you did not receive an email please check your junk folder. For further assistance please contact our website team.
Multi-Island Hires Multi-Island Hires
Multi Island Hire - Booking Options
Start by making a reservation for your entire journey - from initial pick-up date and location to the final drop-off location. For example, you can book a pick-up in Auckland, returning to Christchurch.
PLEASE NOTE: There is a minimum of 3 days consecutive rental required in each island (a minimum total rental of 6 days across both islands).
After you have selected your preferred car group and completed your reservation, you will be sent an email confirmation with your reservation number noted.
The final step is to send an email to Budget reservations.
- Quote your 'Reservation Number' in the email and provide details of your planned itinerary.
- A reservations agent will then create separate reservations for each leg of your journey, ensuring that the rate applied covers the entire rental period.
When each leg of your rental has been booked, you will then be advised of the new reservation numbers, which also go to each rental location so they know to have your vehicle ready for collection.
Booking a Multi-Island Hire Offline
If you would prefer to discuss your specific requirements and book directly with a reservations agent, please call:
Toll Free - 0800 284 722
Auckland Local Call - 09 529 7784
International Callers - +64 9 529 7784
Alternatively, you can email Budget Reservations and let us know your travel dates and itinerary, and an agent will contact you to arrange your booking.
Important points when booking a Multi-Island Hire
- Do not under any circumstances book or take a rental vehicle on an Interisland Ferry. If you do take a Budget vehicle across on an Interisland ferry (i.e. if you collect a car from a location in one island and return the vehicle to a location in the other island) without Budget authorisation, you will face an automatic relocation fee of NZ$450.00 (incl. GST).
- If you wish to collect your rental car after 6:00 PM from Budget Picton & Budget Wellington Ferry Terminal, a 'Meet Late Arrival' fee of NZD $50 + GST will apply. Please refer to the following pages for location opening hours, contact details, and location maps:
Budget Wellington Ferry Terminal
Budget Picton Ferry Terminal
- Do not leave the car unlocked with the keys in it. Please return the keys to the Budget rental counter located at the Interislander Ferry Terminal.
- If you are travelling on the Bluebridge ferry you need to make your own way by taxi to the Interislander Ferry Terminal.
- If you book a Multi-Island Hire and need to cross Cook Strait by ferry, it is your responsibility to book the Interisland Ferry crossing as foot passengers.
- When you drop off your rental car at either Wellington Ferry Terminal or Picton Ferry Terminal, please ensure the car has a full tank of petrol. That way you will avoid paying a premium for petrol at the location. Upon arrival at your destination, there will be a new rental car waiting with a full tank of petrol, so you do not end up paying twice.
- If you rent a Portable GPS Navigation unit, please take the unit with you on the ferry. That way you will avoid any short supply issues at your destination. The GPS Navigation units can be used in all rental vehicles.
- At your destination port, a Budget representative will be waiting with the keys to your new rental car, ready for your onward journey.
- When you drop off your car at Budget, you will need to walk a short distance to board the ferry as foot passengers.
Multi-Island Hire Terms & Conditions
- There is a minimum of 3 days consecutive rental required in each island (a minimum total rental of 6 days across both islands).
- If the minimum length of rental requirement is not met, then the rental will be charged as two separate hires.
- If you are travelling more than once between the two islands (e.g. begins the rental in the North Island, travels to the South Island and then re-crosses back into the North Island to finish the rental), this third rental period has no minimum rental requirement. This rental can be of any length so long as the first two rental periods meets the minimum requirements.
- If the minimum rental requirements are met, the rental can start and finish at any Budget location in New Zealand (subject to vehicle availability).
- You can cross between the two islands using the Picton Ferry Terminal and the Wellington Ferry Terminal, or you can fly into other Budget locations. Note: This policy only applies if you are travelling to the other island, not to a location within the same island.
- A maximum of 5 hours is allowed between the drop off of the vehicle in one island and the pick up of the next vehicle (i.e. the length of the ferry trip between the islands is approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes in total).
- A minimum of 72 hours notice is required of the customers’ intention to cross between the islands if a crossover booking has not be previously made. If notice is not given, we cannot guarantee a vehicle will be available on the other side.
- If you wish to collect your rental car outside of the normal operating hours for Budget Picton & Budget Wellington Ferry Terminal, a meet late arrival fee of NZD $50 + GST will apply.
Booking your Interisland Ferry
For any travel between the North & South islands on a Multi-Island Hire, it is your responsibility to book the Interisland Ferry crossing as foot passengers.
For all ferry bookings and information on Cook Strait ferry sailings, please visit either Interislander or Bluebridge.
North Island To South Island Ferry
The most popular ferry route in all of New Zealand, the Picton to Wellington ferry connects the North and South islands of New Zealand, and also connects two busy cities. A vital transport link that countless people travel on daily, ferries through the Cook Strait run several times per day.