Car Rental in
New Plymouth Car Rental & Nearby Locations
New Plymouth Car Rental & Nearby Locations
Car Hire New Plymouth
Nothing starts a trip like the freedom of cruising through a new city. Budget Car & Truck Rental at the New Plymouth Airport is here to make your stay in New Plymouth enjoyable and stress-free. Whether you're on a layover waiting to fly overseas, visiting friends and family or stopping by for a business trip, Budget will help you find the perfect vehicle.
To reach the Budget Rental help desk at New Plymouth Airport, call us on + 64 6-758 8039 Travel often? Try the Budget Mobile App. It gives travellers the ultimate control over reservations, 24/7.
At Budget New Plymouth, we offer a wide variety of makes and models that fit your price range:
- Compact Cars (such as the Suzuki Swift)
- Intermediate Models (such as the Toyota Corolla Sports Hatch)
- Standard (such as the Toyota Corolla Ascent Sedan)
- Full Size Models (such as the Holden Commodore Lt)
- Compact SUVS (Hyundai Kona or similar)
- Full Size Elite Models
- Full Size SUVS
- Full Size 4WD Vehicles
- Vans, Wagons…and more!
Where are you located?
We are conveniently located inside New Plymouth Airport at 192 Airport Drive or New Plymouth downtown at 77 Gill St. If you are headed to the airport from New Plymouth, follow these directions:
- Head to State Highway 3 heading east out of town
- Stay on State Highway 3 for almost 8 km
- Turn left onto Airport Drive and head north for 2.2km
- Follow Airport Drive the rest of the way to New Plymouth Airport
Family Accommodation in New Plymouth
Travelling with the family is a fun adventure, but it can also be tiring. A good night's sleep is key to enjoying your time here. Whether you like to book a hotel in advance or make reservations in person, New Plymouth has plenty of family-friendly hotels. Check out this list of accommodationfor traveller favourites. For the budget traveller, you can even sort accommodations by price and features!
Fun Things to do in New Plymouth
New Plymouth is full of wonderful shops (hello, Toyland!), restaurants, museums, parks and more. While travelling with family is fun, sometimes the best part of the day is relaxing around a supper table with the ones you love most. After picking up your rental car, you might want to let everyone fill up their tummies at one of the tasty restaurants in New Plymouth CBD. We recommend Deluxe Diner for its family-friendly atmosphere. New Plymouth also offers a variety of Asian, ethnic and fusion restaurants--there's plenty of inspired fare for the adventurous palette!
Museums are a great activity that adds a bit of learning to any trip. For hands-on fun, arts and history, our top museum and activity picks for families include:
- "Dream a Little" Eclectic Model Collection--un for all ages! Located on 82 Pendarves Street, appointments must be booked in advance. Call ahead on 021 120 2328.
- Brooklands Zoo-This fantastic zoo is not only family-friendly: it's FREE! Pro-tip: the Capuchin monkeys are fed around 12:30, so plan on visiting around noon for some monkeying around.
- Parks and Playgrounds-check out thismap of district parks and playgrounds, to let the little ones burn off their energy.
Relax and Enjoy
Feeling stiff and sore from your flight? New Plymouth has a ton of spas and massage parlours. Whether you're trying to look your best for a business meeting or you need a good shoulder rub.
Want to make the most out of a trip to New Plymouth? Make sure to stop by the New Plymouth iSite Visitor Centre to discover all that your trip has to offer.
The Climate of New Plymouth
The climate here is mild, and generally warm and temperate. New Plymouth is a city with a significant rainfall. Even in the driest month there is a lot of rain. It's smart to bring a light windbreaker or jacket. The temperature here averages 13.6 °C, while the average yearly rainfall is around 1600 mm.
Distance to New Plymouth Attractions
There are lots of inspiring attractions in New Plymouth, a short drive from the airport, including:
- List of restaurants within 8 km of the airport
- Fantastic coffee shops
- Mount Taranaki State Park--62 km from the airport (only an hour drive!)
- Coastal Walkways--12 km from the airport
- Brooklands Zoo--This fantastic zoo is not only free and family-friendly: its only 13 km away!
- City Centre Shopping district is only 12 km from the airport.
What is New Plymouth known for?
New Plymouth is a city on the west coast of New Zealand’s North Island. It’s known for its coastal walkway stretching from Bell Block to Port Taranaki. New Plymouth is also known for having a sunny climate, many art galleries and beautiful parks. It is New Zealand's 'oil town', with offshore rigs extracting natural gas and oil
What is there to do in New Plymouth for kids?
There is so much stuff for kids to do in New Plymouth. We'll give you the highlights: go-karting, swimming, hiking through bush, checking out wildlife at the zoo, bowling, cinema...and more.
New Zealand’s inspiring scenery - shimmering plains, towering mountains and breathtaking valleys - plays the mythical world of Middle‑earth on the big screen in both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Trilogy franchise. Many activities and attractions around New Plymouth offer the chance to see the film locations for yourself.